Imagine, you’re a really passionate rider and recently bought a Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350. It suits your style, need, and sense of comfort. One beautiful day, you decide to hit the road and go for a long ride. You are on the highway, enjoying the speed and freedom the bike comes with, everything is great - until the bike stops working midway. You examine and realise the battery is dead and you would need a mechanic to jumpstart it. But where do you find a mechanic amidst a deserted highway?
Getting stranded is a really stressful situation to be in, and we don’t want you to ever face it. This is when a Roadside Assistance Cover saves your day!
So how does it work? Let’s find out!
What is Roadside Assistance in Bike Insurance?
It is a cover that helps you get on-road assistance in case your bike faces malfunctions or breaks down in the middle of the road. You can contact the insurance company toll-free, and arrange for roadside assistance.
This cover can be added to your existing Two-Wheeler Insurance policy by paying an additional premium. It works as a reliable companion when you step out to explore the outdoors.
Who Should Opt for a Roadside Assistance Add-On?
Roadside Assistance In Bike Insurance-
If You Are Someone Who Travels A Lot On Your Two-Wheeler
If you use your bike for daily commute or frequent long-journeys, getting a roadside assistance cover will save you from unfortunate situations that you may face on the road.
If You Have Got A New Bike And You Are Aware That You Wouldn’t Be Able To Repair Any Minor Issues With It While Travelling
For instance, if your bike runs out of fuel in the middle of a journey, finding a gas station can prove to be quite a challenge. In this situation, with a Roadside Assistance Cover in place, you can inform your insurer and get an emergency fuel supply
If He Bike Has Costed You a High Amount, Its Age Is Less Than 3 Years, And You Are Always Extra Careful About It
If your bike is your prized possession and you want to maintain it at all costs, getting this cover can take away a lot of your stress. By making a simple call, you can get roadside assistance and protect your bike from undue damages.
Services Available Under The Roadside Assistance Cover
To minimise the inconvenience caused while riding a bike, this add-on provides an enhanced coverage for -
Tyre issues happen quite often on bikes due to bad road conditions. In case of a flat-tyre situation, you can get in touch with the insurance company. The insurer shall arrange for a vehicle technician to replace the tyre with a spare one, or tow the bike to the nearby garage and repair the same if the spare tyre is not available.
Machines face technical issues all the time. If your insured bike comes to a standstill due to any mechanical or electrical issues and if such damages cannot be repaired on the spot, you can get in touch with the insurance company. The insurer shall arrange for a mechanic or get it towed to the nearby garage.
For example, you experience a bike engine seizure right in the middle of a trip, caused by overheating and lack of lubrication. Without oil, the engine's moving parts will no longer move smoothly against each other, resulting in overheating. If you have a Roadside Assistance Cover in place, a mechanic will come to your rescue and save you from the trouble.
A rundown battery can be problematic, especially during long rides. In case the battery of the bike is dead, the insurer will send a vehicle technician who will provide battery jumpstart services.
If your insured bike runs out of fuel in the middle of a journey, the insurance company will arrange for the supply of emergency fuel as per the limits specified in the policy.
If you have lost or misplaced your bike keys, the insurer will arrange for pick-up and delivery of the spare keys from your place of residence or work to the place where your bike is located. This service will be provided for certain kilometres as specified in the policy.
If your insured bike is damaged or breaks down in the middle of the road, and the repair takes a lot of time, the insurer will help you find accommodation nearby. The charges for the same shall be paid by the insurer as per the terms and conditions of the plan.
If your bike breaks down in the middle of the journey and takes quite some time to get repaired, the insurance company will arrange for an alternate vehicle to get you home safely. The distance and the charges will be as per the limits mentioned in the policy.
Please note that the above services may vary from insurer to insurer.
Exclusions Under The Roadside Assistance Cover:
Here are certain conditions that are not covered under the add-on.
- The insurance company will not be providing assistance in case your bike was used for racing, motorsports, or was involved in any illegal activity.
- If expenses on the repairs or other charges were incurred without any prior intimation or the consent of the insurer, they will not be covered.
- If any roadside assistance claim arises due to a situation where the bike was not being driven as per the vehicle manual, the insurance company is not liable to entertain that claim.
For instance, you are riding the bike at a speed much higher than what has been advised in the vehicle safety manual, and meet with an accident due to rash-riding. If you raise a claim to cover for the aftermath, your claim will most likely be denied.
Special Conditions of Roadside Assistance Cover
Given below are some special conditions that shall be considered while offering the services.
- The claim under the Roadside Assistance Cover will not impact your No Claim Bonus - a discount on your insurance premium that you can avail after a claim-free year.
- The number of claims that can be made under this cover will be as per the limit mentioned in the policy, and may vary from insurer to insurer.
How to Claim a Roadside Assistance Cover?
If an unfortunate situation arises where your bike is stranded due to issues like battery drain-out, breakdown, flat tyre, etc., you can contact the insurance company immediately, and avail the roadside assistance services.
- You will have to provide the insurer with the complete details of the issue faced and the exact location where it happened, so they can reach out to you. Make sure to inform each and every detail and not withhold anything.
- The insurance company will send their technicians or mechanics to the spot where your vehicle is stranded, and the services will be provided as per the issue you have raised.
- If the vehicle is pretty damaged and needs more repair work that cannot be done under the RSA services, then you can talk to the insurance company and get that covered under your comprehensive coverage.
- The payment to you will be made as per the terms and conditions of the policy.
- If it is a cashless settlement, the insurer will settle the claim directly with the garage. You may have to pay the deductibles and depreciation, based on the chosen coverage.
- If it is a reimbursement claim, then you will have to pay the entire amount upfront to the garage, and then raise a claim for reimbursement.
Straddling atop your treasured bike for that long-awaited road trip is an unparalleled experience. Your basic Two-Wheeler Insurance is mandatory but not protection enough. When you invest a big amount in purchasing your favourite vehicle, safeguarding it from uncertain inconveniences becomes vital. With a Roadside Assistance add-on, you can enjoy your long-rides outside of the hustle and bustle of the city, without having to worry about the safety of the bike.