Maruti Suzuki is a well-known name in India and has been a part of peoples’ lives for many years. In India, where people are conscious of prices, Maruti Suzuki cars have consistently been the top-selling cars. With almost 50% of the market share, this Indian carmaker offers a wide range of car models that vary in both price and purpose.
Several factors contribute to the popularity of a car brand, including its history, market positioning, relatability, customer trust and reliability. Over the years, Maruti Suzuki has earned the unwavering trust of Indian customers by providing affordable and dependable cars.
And, one important requirement for these cars is motor insurance, for two main reasons -
- Firstly, it is mandatory to have at least third-party insurance to drive your car on the road.
- Secondly, the motor insurance policy provides you with financial protection against potential financial responsibilities in the event of an accident or theft.
The Importance of Maruti Suzuki Car Insurance?
Here are a few reasons why buying Maruti Suzuki Car Insurance can be beneficial for you –
1️⃣It is a Mandatory Requirement
You should be aware that driving a motor vehicle in public places without a valid motor insurance policy is against the law. According to the Motor Vehicles Act, there are strict consequences for this offence.
For a first-time offence, you can face a fine of Rs. 2000, and for any subsequent violations, the fine increases to Rs. 4000 and the law may even choose to imprison you for up to 3 months.
So, it is crucial to ensure you have proper motor insurance coverage to avoid these legal consequences.
2️⃣It Offers Financial Protection
While buying a vehicle is expensive, repairing it after a major accident can also come with a hefty cost. This is where a motor insurance policy can help you. It serves as a financial safety net protecting your bank account against accidents, theft, or significant damage incurred by your vehicle.
3️⃣It Covers a Wide Range of Risks
Motor insurance is pretty versatile when it comes to risk coverage. It usually covers a wide variety of contingencies, including theft, accidents, man-made incidents, natural disasters, etc. to ensure that you are well-protected whatever happens! Also, it does not just protect your vehicle; it also acts as a financial safeguard for you if you accidentally cause damage or financial losses to someone else or their property.
Exploring Maruti Suzuki Car Insurance Options
There are three main types of Maruti Suzuki Car Insurance coverage –
- Maruti Suzuki Comprehensive Insurance Policy
Comprehensive motor insurance offers complete and enhanced coverage. It not only covers damages to your vehicle but also safeguards you against third-party liabilities. In other words, it provides protection for both your vehicle and any harm it may cause to a third party or their property.
- Maruti Suzuki Third-Party Insurance Policy
Third-party motor insurance is the fundamental and mandatory coverage required by law when driving a motor vehicle in India. It serves as a legal requirement and covers any injuries or losses caused to a third party or their property involving your vehicle.
- Maruti Suzuki Standalone Own-Damage Insurance Cover
The standalone own-damage motor insurance policy covers the damages sustained by your own vehicle due to situations like fire, rain, theft, etc. If you file a claim under this policy, it will provide compensation to cover the costs of repairing your vehicle.
Factors to Consider When Selecting Insurance
Keep these key factors in mind before buying a motor insurance policy –
✅Assess Your Needs
Start your motor journey by understanding what you truly need. Choose the insurance coverage that suits your needs and consider any extra features or add-ons you might require.
✅Type of Coverage
After understanding your needs, you can then decide between a third-party policy and a comprehensive policy.
You can choose a third-party motor insurance policy if you –
- Do not drive often.
- Are confident that you will not damage your vehicle.
- Want to keep your insurance premiums low.
In all other situations, it is best to choose a comprehensive motor insurance policy.
✅The Cover Amount
When it comes to the cover amount of your motor insurance policy, it is important to understand the concept of Insured Declared Value (IDV). This is the estimated market value of your vehicle and represents the maximum amount the insurance company will pay when you make a claim under your motor insurance policy.
So, when selecting a policy, be sure to choose one with an adequate IDV. Opting for a lower IDV might reduce your premiums, but it can create problems when you need to make a claim. There could be situations where the loss or damage exceeds the chosen IDV, such as when your vehicle gets stolen. This can lead to out-of-pocket costs.
✅Tailor Your Policy
You have the flexibility to customise your base motor insurance policy to match your specific needs. This is where add-ons come in. They are optional benefits you can include in your base policy at a certain extra cost. These add-ons offer additional protection for your vehicle and offer a payout on the happening of specific contingencies. You can choose from a range of add-ons such as NCB Protector Cover, Zero Depreciation Cover, Roadside Assistance Cover, Personal Accident Cover, etc. Thus, ensure you select the right add-ons that align with your needs to enhance your coverage effectively.
A deductible is a predefined portion of the claim amount that you need to pay when you make a claim, before the insurer steps in to cover the rest.
Motor insurance policies come with two types of deductibles -
This amount is determined based on your vehicle's CC (cubic capacity). You will mandatorily need to pay this every time you make a claim. It does not impact your premium.
As the name implies, you voluntarily opt for this deductible. So, when you make a claim, you will pay both the compulsory and voluntary deductibles. The important thing to note is that your premium is influenced by this deductible. The higher the voluntary deductible, the lower your premium will be.
When you make a claim, the insurance company can settle it in two ways – either as a Reimbursement Claim or a Cashless Claim.
To have your claim settled in a cashless manner (without you having to pay anything upfront), it is important to get your vehicle repaired in a network garage. A network garage is essentially a workshop or repair shop that has a tie-up with the insurance company.
When your vehicle is repaired in a network garage, you do not have to worry about arranging the funds yourself. Here, the insurer directly settles the bills with a network garage directly and you are only responsible for expenses like deductibles, depreciation (if applicable), consumables charges (if applicable), etc.
When you choose an insurance company, ensure it has tie-ups with a high number of garages, including your preferred ones and those near your home or workplace.
✅Assess The Policy’s Terms and Conditions
Before signing up for a policy, it is essential to thoroughly review its terms and conditions. Take enough time to understand what’s covered and not covered by the policy, so you know what you’re in for and don’t face any shocks later.
✅Choose the Personal Accident Cover
A Personal Accident Cover is a mandatory requirement for owner-drivers as per government regulations. It acts as a financial safety net if you get permanently disabled or pass away due to an accident. If you haven't already included it in your policy, it is recommended to do so. Failure to have this cover could result in claim rejections.
Step-by-Step Guide to Procuring Maruti Suzuki Car Insurance
You can buy motor insurance for your Maruti Suzuki Car either online or offline.
Buying insurance for your Maruti Suzuki Car online is a very simple process and here are the steps you need to follow –
- You can either visit the insurance company's website or go to a web aggregator or broker's website.
- Once you are on the website, select the ‘Car’ option.
- You will be prompted to enter your vehicle number, after which, all your vehicle details will be automatically retrieved.
- Verify that all the details are accurate before proceeding ahead.
- If you don't remember your vehicle number or the details are not automatically captured, you will need to provide information like the place of registration, make and model, registration year, etc.
- After entering the necessary details, you will be directed to a page where you can see insurance quotes for your vehicle.
- Review the details and choose a policy that best fits your needs.
If you prefer not to purchase the policy online, you also have the option to buy it offline. This can be done by visiting either the insurance company's office or an agent's office by following these steps -
- At the office, you will need to provide your personal details and information about your vehicle. The agent will then guide you through the process of purchasing the policy.
- When dealing with them, you should ensure to communicate your specific requirements so that the suggested plan aligns with your needs.
- Before finalising the purchase and making the payment, you should carefully review all the details and fully understand the terms and conditions.
- Once the payment is complete, your agent will assist you in obtaining the physical copy of the policy documents.
Benefits of Comprehensive Coverage
A comprehensive policy is a type of motor insurance that offers extensive coverage. It protects your vehicle from various risks and also covers damages or injuries caused to third parties or their property.
Listed below are some of the advantages of having a comprehensive policy –
1️⃣The policy shields your vehicle from a broad spectrum of risks, including accidents, theft, natural disasters, etc.
2️⃣You have the flexibility to enhance your coverage by choosing add-ons such as zero depreciation cover, consumables cover, roadside assistance, etc.
3️⃣In the unfortunate event of accidental disability or death, a comprehensive policy provides financial compensation.
4️⃣It also safeguards you against any damages or liabilities incurred by third parties or their properties.
Strategies to Lower Insurance Premiums
Here are some tips that will help you reduce your Maruti Suzuki car insurance premiums –
?Comparison is Key
Start by comparing the policies offered by different insurance companies and examining their premium rates. You can use online platforms to get comparisons of various premium amounts and other benefits.
?Select the Right Deductible
As mentioned earlier, a deductible is the portion of the claim amount that you need to pay out of your own pocket before your insurance company covers the rest. Deductibles are mainly of two types -
This is a fixed amount mandated by IRDAI, and you must pay it when you make a claim. This does not have an impact on your motor insurance premium.
You have the option to voluntarily pay a deductible amount. This is in addition to the compulsory deductible and is to be paid every time you file a claim. The higher the voluntary deductible, the lower your premium amount will be.
?Stay Safe on the Road
How you drive on the road matters. If you drive safely and abide by traffic rules, this lowers the risk of mishaps. And, fewer accidents lead to a lower need for making claims.
When you maintain a claim-free record throughout the policy year, your insurance company rewards you with a No Claim Bonus discount. This discount reduces your premium at the time of renewal.
The No Claim Bonus can vary, ranging from 20% to a maximum of 50%. So, safe driving not only keeps you secure on the road but also saves you money on your policy.
?Avoid Claims for Minor Damages
When you have a minor accident resulting in minimal damage, such as a scratch or a small dent on your vehicle, it is a good idea to cover the repair costs yourself. Filing a claim for such minor incidents can reset your accumulated No Claim Bonus to zero. You can actually save more money by covering smaller expenses yourself instead of making claims.
?Transfer Your NCB to a New Policy
If you are considering selling your current vehicle and getting a new one, you should keep in mind that the new vehicle requires motor insurance coverage too. In that case, you can transfer your existing No Claim Bonus (NCB) to the new motor insurance policy to cut down costs. To do this, you will need to obtain an NCB retention letter from your previous insurance provider and then provide it to your new insurer.
?Install Security Devices
You can also enjoy motor insurance discounts by equipping your vehicle with certified anti-theft devices. Consider installing gear locks and theft alarms that are certified by ARAI (Automotive Research Association of India). These security measures can help lower your motor insurance costs.
?Choose Add-Ons Wisely
Add-ons are designed to broaden your base coverage, but they come with an additional premium. Some of the add-ons available with the Maruti Suzuki Car Insurance Policy include zero-depreciation cover, NCB protection cover, roadside assistance, etc. Please keep in mind that you select only those add-ons that align with your specific needs.
Navigating The Claim Process and Required Documentation
There are two types of claims –
Cashless claims, as the name suggests, are settled without requiring you to pay money upfront. The insurer directly settles the repair expenses with the garage where your vehicle is being fixed. It is important to note that a cashless claim is only approved if the vehicle is repaired at a garage listed with the insurance company's network.
When it comes to reimbursement claims, you initially cover the repair expenses at the workshop or garage and later request reimbursement from the insurer by providing the necessary documents. Once approved, the claim amount will be deposited into your bank account. This option is used when repairs are done at garages that are not on the insurer's approved list.
Here's a step-by-step guide to help you file a cashless claim –
- If your vehicle is involved in an accident, promptly inform the insurance company, providing a detailed account of the incident and the resulting damages.
- Share the name and address of the garage where your vehicle will be repaired. As mentioned earlier, you must take your vehicle to a garage within the insurance company's network for cashless claims.
- In cases involving a third party or accidental death, the insurance company may request a copy of the First Information Report (FIR).
- Once the insurance company has all the necessary details, they will appoint a surveyor who will visit the garage to assess your vehicle's condition.
- If the surveyor approves the claim, the garage can proceed with the repair work. They will need specific documents for this purpose.
Documents to be Signed by You
As a customer, there are several documents you may need to sign during the insurance claim process –
- Claim Form
- Satisfaction Voucher; this document secures your consent before releasing the claim payment. It confirms your satisfaction with the vehicle repairs.
- Discharge Voucher; this document is signed during claim settlement. This document specifies the payable amount and you acknowledge the same by signing the form.
Documents to be Shared by You
You will need to provide the following documents –
- RC copy
- Driver's licence
- ID proof
- Once the repair work is finished, the garage will send the repair bill and invoice directly to the insurance company. The insurer will review the documents and subtract the compulsory deductibles and any consumable charges from the final bill amount. The approved amount will then be paid to the garage. You will only need to settle the compulsory deductible and consumable charges directly with the garage.
?Reimbursement Claim Process
Here are the series of steps you need to follow to file a reimbursement claim in the event of an accident –
- Intimate your insurer about the accident as fast as possible.
- You will then need to submit certain documents, which can vary among insurers. These typically include a completed claim form, the workshop's repair estimate, and an FIR copy for third-party involvement or accidents involving fatalities (if applicable).
- The insurance company will send a dedicated surveyor to assess your vehicle at the garage. Once the surveyor approves the claim, the repair work can begin.
- After the repairs are done, you will need to pay the entire bill amount to the garage.
- Next, you will have to send the repair bill, invoice, and any requested documents to your insurance company to request reimbursement.
- Once your documents are verified, the approved claim amount will be transferred to your bank account by the insurance company.
List of Required Documents
You will need to submit the following documents to process your claim –
- A completed claim form that is duly signed and filled out.
- A copy of your motor insurance policy.
- Tax payment receipt.
- The garage repair estimate – signed and stamped by the garage.
- Original repair invoice and payment receipt – both signed and stamped by the garage.
- Claims discharge and satisfaction voucher that is duly signed, including a revenue stamp.
- Both the original and a verified photocopy of your driving licence.
- The original and a verified photocopy of your vehicle Registration Certificate (RC).
- PAN Card
- Aadhar Card
- Pollution under control certificate copy.
- A cancelled cheque/passbook.
- Maruti Suzuki is a well-known and popular car brand in India, known for its affordability and reliability.
- Having car insurance is mandatory by law to drive in public places in India.
- Car insurance provides financial protection, helping you cover repair costs in case of accidents, theft, or damage to your vehicle.
- When choosing insurance, consider your needs, the type of coverage, the Insured Declared Value (IDV), customization, deductibles, network garages, etc.
- To get Maruti Suzuki car insurance online, visit an insurer's website or use a web aggregator to select a suitable policy. Alternatively, you can visit an insurer's office or agent to buy your policy.
- To lower your Maruti Suzuki car insurance premium, compare policies, drive safely, avoid small claims, transfer your NCB to a new policy, install certified security devices, and select add-ons only when necessary.
- Claims can either be cashless (carried out at network garages) or reimbursement-based.